Compost filter socks are a preferred choice by many municipalities and construction managers in the ongoing battle against erosion and stormwater contamination. Erosion control socks are an ecologically safe and affordable BMP for your project site. With no trenching needed, they're fast and easy to install. Use erosion control socks as a perimeter barrier to prevent erosion and to filter sediment from stormwater runoff. Made from UV stabilized polypropylene tubular netting filled with compost and wood shavings, compost socks provide a natural solution for controlling water quality on construction sites through perimeter runoff control.
Construction filter socks are very easy to install and will provide noticeable results. For compost filter sock detail and a study on its effectiveness, please see "Utilization of Compost Filter Socks," U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Agronomy Technical Note #4.
Benefits of Compost Filter Socks
- Filters runoff before it leaves the construction site
- Acts as an effective perimeter for the work area
- Unlike silt fence, does not require trenching for installation
- Reliable erosion and sediment control
- Can be seeded for permanent erosion control
- Complies with green building programs
- Can be easily adapted to fit a variety of filtration applications
- If installed permanently, there are no disposal costs
- Can be installed on paved surfaces, compacted ground, and frozen soil
- Minimal impact to the habitat, as no roots are disturbed